1845 or 1846: born at Xenia, Greene County, Ohio, youngest son of James & Jane (Ferguson) Bratton, natives of South Carolina.
1850: Federal Census of Xenia, Ohio w/parents
1855: Older brother Thomas Bratton dies at age 25.
1860: Federal Census of Xenia, Ohio w/parents
1864: Enlists in Company F, 154th Ohio Infantry, Xenia Township, Greene County, Ohio
1864: May. Mother dies in Greene County, Ohio
1867: Jan. Father dies in Greene County, Ohio
1867: Nov. Older sister Catherine dies in Greene County, Ohio
1873: future wife Avis Allen teaching at Charter Oak School, Randolph County, Illinois.
1873: Dec 4. married Avis Allen of Randolph County, Illinois. Her father Aaron Minor Allen & mother Jurinda Sarah McClinton Allen were devout Presbyterians;
1874: Oct. dau. Favola Avis Bratton born in Illinois
1878: Living at Sparta, Illinois. Received into the Junior Class of Lane Theological Seminary. (reported to also have attended Western Reserve University.)
1879: Licensed by the Presbytery of Alton
1880: Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio
1880: May. Bethel Church, Ohio
1880: Aug. Moved from Cincinnati to Millville, Ohio (Butler County?)
1880: Oct. Ordained by Presbytery of Dayton
1881: Camden Church, Preble County, Ohio and Eaton Church, Preble County, Ohio (James H.?)
1882: marriage performed in Preble County, Ohio
1885: June 5. son Henry Malcom Bratton born at Eaton, Preble County, Ohio
1886: marriage performed in Preble County, Ohio
1886: call to Camden Church dissolved
1886: call at Macomb, Illinois where he served 16 years; 1893 building was built during his tenure
1895: Officiated the marriage of Alice Gertrude Ball and Edgar H Patton
1900: Census of Macomb, IL w/wife Avis, dau. Favola age 25, and son Henry M. age 15, one child deceased.
1902: July 15. Pastorate in Macomb dissolved.
1902. Sept 1. Began new call at Kingfisher, Oklahoma
1903: Living in Oklahoma when father-in-law Aaron M. Allen died in Randolph County, Illinois
1906: Nov – Stated Supply for church at Hersman, Illinois
1907: May – Stated Supply for church at Hersman, Illinois
1910: Census Santa Monica, Calif. w/wife Avis, dau Favola, and an adopted son Owen, age 12.
1912: Living in Santa Monica, California
1917: Oct 7. Died at Santa Monica, California at age 75 as D.D., member of Presbytery of Rushville.
- The Presbyterian Monthly Record of the …, Volumes 30-33; Volumes 35-37. http://books.google.com/books?id=8kGPIGJubawC
- Presbyterian Banner, Volume 89 http://books.google.com/books?id=whRQAAAAYAAJ
- The Assembly Herald, Volume 13 (1907) http://books.google.com/books?id=LgkXAAAAYAAJ
- Obituary for father-in-law Aaron Allen http://julialangel.com/genealogy/e317.htm
- History of Preble County Ohio by Lowry http://books.google.com/books?id=SNoyAQAAMAAJ
- Minutes – United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A., Volume 12
- Minutes –
- The Ministerial Directory: Of the Ministers in the Presbyterian Church in … edited by Edgar Sutton Robinson. http://books.google.com/books?id=9WXozG4cLPIC
- Minutes of the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, 1878. http://www02.us.archive.org/stream/minutesofgeneral1878pres/minutesofgeneral1878pres_djvu.txt
- Randolph County, Illinois, Commerative Edition,Bicentennial 1795-1995″ compiled by the Randolph Co. Gen. Soc. , 1995.http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~clanboyd/RCGS.htm
- General catalogue of Lane Theological Seminary. 1828-1881. http://archive.org/stream/generalcatalogue00lane#page/n9/mode/2up
- Minutes of the Genearl Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, 1918. http://www16.us.archive.org/stream/minutesofgeneral1918pres#page/284/mode/2up