Congregational Church of Macomb, Illinois

  • organized Oct. 2, 1858, with 24 members
  • deacons: Hector McLean and Lorenzo Clisby
  • Rev. Z. K. Hawley began Nov. 8, 1858,  installed April 18, 1859
  • rented a place of worship, a few weeks showed the necessity of building.
  • Within 40 days from the vote to build, a small but neat chapel was erected, completed and dedicated, with some aid from abroad, chiefly from the Church Building Fund
  • Ref: Illinois Association., Carter, W., & Emery, S. H. (1863). A memorial of the Congregational ministers and churches of the Illinois Association: On completing a quarter of a century of its history. Quincy, Ill: Whig and Republican Steam Power Press. http://hdl.handle.net/10111/UIUCOCA:memorialofcongre00cong

Rev. Zerah K. Hawley served Macomb Church 1859-1863

  • Ref:  General Association of Illinois., & General Association of Illinois. (1870). Minutes of the … annual meeting at … with reports and statistics. Ottawa, Ill: Osman & Hapeman, General Book and Job Printers.  http://books.google.com/books?id=96sUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PR17

Membership in 1859

  • Rev. Z. K. Hawley, pastor
  • 22 members as of April 1, 1859: 9 female, 13 male
    25 members added during 1858-9: 5 professions, 20 letters of transfer
    3 removals during 1858-9: no deaths, 2 dismissals, 1 excommunication
    3 baptisms: 3 infants, 0 adults
  • Ref:   American Congregational Yearbook (1859).   http://books.google.com/books?id=5TZOAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA124

Membership in 1871

 

Original members:

  • Hector McLean (deacon) and wife
  • Harvey Chase
  • J. P. McCandless and wife
  • James L. Anderson (deacon) and wife
  • Lorenzo Clisby (deacon & clerk) and wife
  • Z. T. Trull
  • Mrs. Mary Bartleson
  • Thomas Gilmore and wife
  • Mary Smith
  • John McLean and wife
  • Isabella McLean
  • Reid and family
  • Mrs. S. Beardsley
  • 1858 – ? Rev. Z. K Hawley
  • 1863 -1867 no regular pastor
  • 1867 -1869 Rev. G. L Granger
  • 1869 – Rev. Lemuel Jones
  • later pastors: Ira Norris, A. R. Dodd, H. M. Burr, and H. M. Perkins
  • no pastor since about 1884
  •  In 1872 and 1873, the congregation erected a neat church edifice on Carroll street, east of Randolph street, at a cost of $6,500.
  • In November, 1883, the society, which consisted of about 70 members, united for one year with the Baptist church.
  • building was leased to the Episcopal society for 3 years.
  • No services are held at present, although the society has not disbanded, but still sustain their officers
  • Ref: History of McDonough County, Illinois, 1885, Centinental Historical Co., Springfield, Illinois

Comments are closed.